Exclusive to Penhollows, 8″x5″ glass decoupage tray by Carol Kaas.
The Campbells of Argyll
War Cry:- “Cruachan” (A mountain near Loch Awe)
Clan Pipe Music:-Salute-“Failte ‘Mharcuis” (“The Marquis’ Salute”) March-“Bail’-Ionaraora” (“The Campbells are Coming” Lament-“Cumha ‘Mbarcuis” (“The Marquis’ Lament”).
Badge:-Roid (Wild Myrtle), or Garbhag an t sleibhe (Fir Club Moss).
It is now generally admitted that the Campbells take their surname from a facial deformity-Cam wry, beul mouth, wry-mouth. The name Campbell appears first in 1216, when Gillespie Cambell is returned in the Exchequer Rolls as holding lands of Menstrie and Sauchie, in Stirling; and he also witnesses the charter of the burgh of Newburgh, in Fife, in 1266. Dugan Cambell is connected with Dumbarton Castle about the year 1289; and in 1292 Colin Cambel supports the claim of Bruce, and is entered on a document as connected with Argyll. In 1296 Arthur and Thomas Cambell are mentioned severally as King’s tenants in Pertshire; and a Duncan Cambell, “of the Isles,” swears fealty to Edward I in that year. At the same time Neil Cambell is made King Edward’s bailie over the lands from Lochfyne to Kilmartin, in Argyll. This Neil Cambell is practically the founder of the Argyll family. He married Bruce’s sister, and his son Colin succeeded him.
“Cailean Mor,” from whom the chief of the House of Argyll gets his patronymic of MacCailean Mor, was the real founder of the family Argyll, and was sixth in descent from Gillespie, already mentioned. He was knighted by King Alexander III in 1280. He had a quarrel with the MacDougalls of Lorn, and the two forces met at a place called “Ath Dearg” (Red Ford), in Lorn, where he was slain (1294). He was buried in Kilchrenan, Loch Awe.
Sir Colin Campbell (“Cailean Iongantach”) succeeded his father, Sir Archibald, who died in 1372. Sir Colin was in great favour with King Robert II, and was employed by him to restrain the Highlanders, for which task he received grants of lands. He died in 1413, and was succeeded by his son, Sir Duncan,
Donnachadh an Aidh” (Duncan the Fortunate). HE was a man of great abilities, equally marked for his valour and wisdom. He was created Lord Campbell by James II in 1445, and was the first of the family that took the title of Argyll. He died in 1453, and was buried in the Church of Kilmun, where there is a monument erected over him, with a statue of himself as large as life, and, round the verge of the tomb this inscription: “Hic Jacet. Dominus Duncanua, Dominus le Campbell, Miles de Lochow, 1453.”
Archibald Roy succeeded his father. He married Elizabeth, daughter of Lord Somerville, by whom he had one son, Colin, who succeeded him. He was created Earl of Argyll in 1457; in 1470 he was created Baron of Lorn; and in 1481 he received a grant of many lands in Knapdale. He died in 1493, and was succeeded by his son Archibald, second Earl of Argyll, who had the honour to command the van of the Royal army at Flodden and there fell with his Royal master King James IV, in 1513. By his wife, Lady Elizabeth Stewart, eldest daughter of John, first Earl of Lennox, he had four sons and five daughters. His eldest son, Colin, was third Earl of Argyll. His second son, Archibald, had a charted of the lands of Skipness, 1511. Sir John Calder of Calder (now Cawdor), and was ancestor of the Campbells of Cawdor, of whom the Campbells of Ardchattan, Airds, and Clunies, etc., are descended.
Colin, the third Earl, was succeeded by Archibald, his son, fourth Earl of Argyll, who distinguished himself at Pinkie, 1547. He died in 1558, and was succeeded by his son Archibald, fifth Earl of Argyll, who was present at the coronation of James VI, where he carries the Sword of State. He died in 1575, without issue, and was succeeded by his brother Colin, sixth Earl of Argyll. Archibald, seventh Earl, fought at Glenlivet in 1594 reduced the MacGregors, 1603, and suppressed a formidable insurrection of the MacDonalds in the Western Isles in 1614. Archibald, his son, succeeded his father in 1638, as eighth Earl. He was created Marquis of Argyll in 1641. He was beheaded in 1661. On his death his estates and titles were, of course, forfeited, but Charles II restored to his son Archibald the estates and the title of Earl of Argyll. Having taken part in Monmouth’s rebellion, he was beheaded in 1685. He was succeeded by his son, Archibald, tenth Earl, who was created a Duke in 1701. Archibald died in 1703, and was succeeded by his son, John, second Duke of Argyll and Earl of Greenwich. He was a noted warrior, and died in 1761, and was laid in Kilmun, the family burial-place. Being without issue, the title devolved on his cousin, General John Campbell of Mamore (second son of Archibald, ninth Earl), whose line is now represented by the present family. John, fourth Duke, was the eldest son of the above-named John Campbell of Mamore. He died in 1790. He left two sons—George, sixth Duke, who died in 1839, and John, seventh Duke, who died in 1847, leaving George, eighth Duke, who died in 1900. He was thrice married, and by his first wife had issue five sons and seven daughters. He was succeeded by his eldest son, John George Edward Henry Douglas Sutherland, born 6th August 1845, who married Princess Louise in 1871.